The Sequim Club was started in 1987 by Chief of Police Joe Hawe and a small group of businessmen & women who felt the city had a need for a place for young boys and girls to go after school and in the summer and get positive reinforcement in an open, accepting environment. The first programs were held at a converted house on Sequim-Dungeness Way, not far from the High School. A few years later the Club had an opportunity to expand into Port Angeles, where a club was opened near the Serenity housing location. The organization subsequently changed its name to the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Olympic Peninsula.
Today, our Clubs continue to provide services at two locations. Our largest facility is the Carroll C. Kendall Unit that also serves as the site for our Teen Club, which was started in 2007 with the support of the City of Sequim. Our Mount Angeles Unit in Port Angeles is near the intersection of Race Street and Lauridsen Blvd. located in the Mount Angeles View neighborhood.
Schools Out, We're In! During the school year the Clubs open after school to general membership Monday through Friday until 6:00 p.m. During the summer months, we open from 12:00 p..m until 6:00 p.m. and provide summer camp activities from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00p.m. for a nominal fee.
Boys & Girls Clubs of the Olympic Peninsula is governed by a board of directors, which is led by Board President Len Lewicki. Day to day operations are management is led by Executive Director Mary Budke.
Boys & Girls Clubs of America
Boys & Girls Club of the Olympic Peninsula is part of a national network of affiliated Clubs. The national organization, Boys & Girls Clubs of America, began in 1860 with several women in Hartford, Conneticuit, believing that boys who roamed the streets should have a positive alternative, they organized the first Club.
In 1906, several Boys Clubs decided to affiliate. The Federated Boys Clubs inBostonwas formed with 53 member organizations –this marked the start of a nationwide Movement.
In 1931, the Boys Club Federation of America became Boys Clubs of America.
In 1956, Boys Clubs of America celebrated its 50th anniversary and received a U.S. Congressional Charter.
To recognize the fact that girls are a part of our cause, the national organization's name was changed to Boys & Girls Clubs of America in 1990. Accordingly, Congress amended and renewed our charter.
Why Boys & Girls Clubs Are Special
Four key characteristics define the essence of a Boys & Girls Club. All are critical in exerting positive impact on the life of a child:
Dedicated Youth Facility:The Boys & Girls Club is a place – an actual neighborhood-based building – designed solely for youth programs and activities.
Open Daily:The Club is open every day, after school, when kids have free time and need positive, productive outlets.
Professional Staff:Every Club has full and part-time, trained youth development professionals, providing positive role models and mentors. Volunteers provide key supplementary support.
Available/Affordable to All Youth:Membership dues are affordable. Clubs reach out to kids who may lack access to other community programs.